Skill 4: FIND “UNSTATED” DETAILS
You will sometimes be asked in the reading section of both the paper TOEFL test and the computer TOEFL test to find an answer that is not stated or not mentioned or not true in the passage. This type of question really means that three of the answers are stated, mentioned, or true in the passage, while one answer is not.
You should note that there are two kinds of answers to this type of question: (1) there are three true answers and one that is not true according to the passage, or (2) there are three true answers and one that is not mentioned in the passage. Look at a multiple-choice example from the paper TOEFL test that asks you to find the one answer that is not true.
HOW TO IDENTIFY THE QUESTION
Which of the following is not stated… ?
Which of the following is not mentioned…?
Which of the following is not discussed…?
All of the following are true except….
WHERETO FIND THE ANSWER
The answers to these questions are found in order in the passage.
HOW TO ANSWER THE QUESTION
- Choose a key word in the question.
- Scan the appropriate place in the passage for the key word (or related idea).
- Read the sentence that contains the key word or idea carefully.
- Look for answers that are definitely true according to the passage.Eliminate those answers.
- Choose the answer that is not true or not discussed in the passage.